Friday, November 18, 2011

Why have my water lilies died back already?

I am located in south-east Arizona. The lilies were beautiful this spring, but have slowly died back through the summer. It's late September, no frost in sight, the leaves have been slowly dying back for some time and are now completely gone. We had such trouble with green water from the vicious sun and high temperatures and grew a Jasmine vine as a shade cover, could this be a problem?

Why have my water lilies died back already?
My guess is that because of the prolonged heat the southwest has been experiencing, your waterlilies, have gone dormant. Plants stop functioning at nintyfive degrees; so after a spell of well over 100 degree days, most plants just go dormant. I'll bet that next spring your waterlilies will bloom again, and be none the worse for wear
Reply:Fungus is amoung us.


No comments:

Post a Comment